Conversion of a Foreign Driving License to a Singaporean Driving License.
To convert a foreign driving license to a Singaporean driving license, you must pass the Basic Driving Theory Test in order to prove you have an understanding of the Singaporean Highway Code.
The conversion is necessary to Singaporeans, Permanent Residents, foreign workers with valid work permits, and foreigners holding student, employment and dependent passes who have stayed in Singapore for a period of more than 6 months for work or studies before or after obtaining their existing (foreign) license. This foreign license must have been issued for a minimum of 6 months and must be valid at the time of conversion.
Should you be staying in Singapore for a period of less than 6 months, then it is not necessary to convert your license to a Singaporean one. You may drive in Singapore as long as you have a valid International Driving Permit / License from your home country or the Singapore (or foreign) Automobile Association.
To do the conversion, you must apply in person to:
• Singapore Driving Test Centre 3, Ang Mio Kio, St 62
• Bukit Batok Driving Centre 815, Bukit Batok West Ave 5
• Comfort Driving Centre 215, Ubi Ave 4
It is necessary to furnish the following:
• Passport and identity card;
• The result slip to prove that you have passed the Basic Driving Theory Test;
• A valid foreign driving licence;
• Transcript of studies of Singaporean/PR who had studied abroad;
• Income tax documents of Singaporean/PR who had worked abroad;
• A certification from the licensing authority of the date of test;
• An extract of the driving licence record from the licensing authority if your licence does not have the date of first issue; and
• A translation of driving licence if it is not in English. This translation has to be an official translation.
• For Malaysian driving licence, an extract of driving licence from the JPJ Malaysia is required.
• For PRs the entry permit has to be produced
It may become necessary for you to obtain a Singapore Driving License from scratch, for example; if you do not have a driving license at all. If that is the case the following may be useful:
See more information on the next page... (next)