NOTE: The information below is just a general guide. Please refer to the relevant embassy/consulate for updated information.
• Documents Required
• Processing Time
The following categories of person are eligible to apply for Singapore Citizenship:
• Person who is at least 21 years of age and has been a Singapore Permanent Resident (SPR) for at least 2 to 6 years prior to the date of application.
• SPR who has satisfactorily completed full-time National Service (NS).
• Spouse of Singapore Citizen who has been a SPR for at least 2 years preceding the date of application.
• Minor (below 21 years old) born in Singapore but who is not a Singapore Citizen.
• Minor born outside Singapore but is residing permanently in Singapore, and whose parents are Singapore Citizens.
• Child born outside Singapore whose mother is a Singapore citizen.
An overseas-born minor (child) may be eligible for Singapore Citizenship by Descent under Article 122(1) of the Constitution of the Republic of Singapore, if any of the following conditions can be met:
a) Male Singapore citizen by Birth who has a lawful marriage at time of minor's birth;
b) Male Singapore citizen by Registration who has a lawful marriage at time of minor's' birth and minor shall not acquire citizenship of the country he was born by reason of his birth in that country;
c) Female Singapore citizen by Birth and minor born on or after 15 May 2004;
d) Female Singapore citizen by Registration and minor born on or after 15 May 2004. Minor shall not acquire citizenship of the country he was born by reason of his birth in that country; or
e) Male (who has a lawful marriage at time of minor's birth) or Female Singapore citizen by Descent has to complete an additional Annex to the application declaring their residence period in Singapore. The application can only be accepted if the applicant fulfils the requirements stipulated in (a) or (b) of the attached Annex.
The application has to be submitted within one year of the child's birth. Otherwise, a letter of explanation is required for late submission.
See more information on the next page... (next)